maandag 18 mei 2009

The right keyboard settings

Today somehow I found myself with smart quotes. It's that annoying option in Windows where you type a quote, nothing appears, then you type a letter, and you get an accented letter. If I type a quote, I mean a quote. If I want an accented letter, I can type in the alt-code.

So I had to find out what the solution was (not for the first time, this also happens with fresh Windows installations, but I did not remember exactly). For me it was (on Windows XP SP3):
  • Open Control Panel, Regional Options, tab Languages, button Details.
  • Remove everything but Dutch (as language) and US (as keyboard layout).
  • Make sure that you don't use US International keyboard layout, since that comes with the smart quotes.
  • Hit OK a few times and logoff/logon.

Geen opmerkingen: