vrijdag 22 mei 2009

iContact phantom contact

Recently I installed iContact (supware.net) on my Windows Mobile phone (HTC Touch Cruise). Works a lot nicer than the built-in contact manager.
Then I started synchronizing my contact through an Outlook Web Access connection (so far I synced with Outlook on the desktop). Something went wrong, and I ended up with two versions of every contact entry. That's not funny. At the office - with Outlook having a connection with Exchange - I de-duplicated all the entries. Sync the phone again - all well, you might expect.

However, in iContact I still had all the double contacts. One thing changed: With all contacts, one of the two did not contain any data. What was wrong?

De-installed iContact, so I could see the original contact manager. There I saw that the data was allright. No duplicates. So the problem was in iContact. Re-installed iContact, thinking that might help. Not so. So it had to be in the iContact settings that had remained on the memorycard after the uninstall. Retry:
- uninstall iContact
- I found the directory <storage card>\Program files\iContact, with allcontacts.dat and favorites.dat files in it. Deleted the directory
- re-installed iContact
Yes, now it was ok.

Conclusion: iContact does not detect it when you remove contacts outside of iContacts' own program interface. If in trouble: remove the allcontacts.dat files from the program files\iContact directory.

Edit: the iContact faq also gives a solution: "While viewing the "all contacts" tab, touch the contacts tab at the bottom of the screen again."

Geen opmerkingen: