dinsdag 17 februari 2009

Pictures backup strategy

This week there was a discussion on the Panasonic FZ Yahoo group about backup strategies for al those pictures. I also added my own. Maybe it can be of help for you too. (BTW: I have a Panasonic FZ-50. Very good camera in the niche between really compact cameras and DSLR's.)
------
I've seen a lot of nice options, yet I add my own for anyone who still
isn't satisfied.

Most solutions in this thread use synchronization. My problem with that is when you did something stupid (deleting that nice picture for example) but you notice a little while later, after the sync, your backup won't save you.

That's why I use backup software, Peters Backup (http://pbackup.sourceforge.net/), simple, free and open source. Configuring it requires you to be a little bit of a geek, but after that you're all set to go. It can make incremental and full backups. It can also save 'the history' (multiple versions) of files. I make a full backup once in a while, and incrementals every time I add new pictures (before deleting them from the memorycard). I even added a clever MSDOS script for automatically saving the previous two full
backups, and deleting the oldest. Incremental is quick, so no problem there. The format is plain and simple zip, so you can get it out anytime. The backup goes to an external USB harddisk. If you need more speed but your computercase is full, try e-Sata (external SATA).

Last but not least: At the end of the year (ok, that's should be more often) I burn the pictures to DVD and bring them to my brother who lives nearby. That gets me an off-line and off-site backup, all in full-format (even raw if I want to), something most online storages won't give you. Plus a good cup of coffee, something I have never seen in any online storage :-)

Geen opmerkingen: